Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Great Blessings

Today I woke up thinking about the incredible life I have had and all the things I have experienced. I have been so blessed! Last night at book club we were discussing events that I remember like they were ancient history. I felt old, yes, but what a ride I have had.
I remember when television was invented. I remember getting my first hifi (high fidelity, mind you, not stereo) record player and much later my first transistor radio. I remember when polio was a great threat to children. I remember the first successful heart transplant. I remember the day JFK was shot...not what I was wearing...but where I was when I heard the news and how I felt like the bottom had dropped out of my world.
I remember the Watts riots, the Kent State shootings, Martin Luther King being shot, Bobby Kennedy, Woodstock (not that I was there), the Viet Nam War, "love peace & happiness" and all the rest that went along with the 60's. Remarkably, most of us survived.
Through it all we raised and lost children, lived our lives, went to Church, prayed, worked, played, and seldom stopped to think about the things we were experiencing. How glad I am for the opportunity I have now to reflect and recognize that through it all I have been in the hands of a loving Father in Heaven who never gave up on me, even when I was angry with Him.
Life is a great gift. Cherish every minute. You never know what's around the corner...which, in itself, is a blessing as well. Never miss the opportunity to kiss your children or your spouse and tell them that you love them...even when you're not so sure you do! You will in the next ten minutes or so! Never wait for tomorrow to express love. It is the great healer.

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to comment on this a few days ago, but I've been crazy busy! Which is just how life is, I should've just commented earlier instead of having it hang over my head for the last few days! Hmmmm, organization!

    My comment, ironically enough, was how my life seems to be on fast forward! My kids are growing up so fast! Sometimes it seems like I don't get much time to reflect, and that's something I need to work on. Thank you for posting this, I love your input about life, it is a remarkable gift, and I feel so blessed too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can, take time at the end of each day to remember the best parts. You are so right. Kids grow up so fast and then they are gone. Enjoy every minute of this time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog mom...I'm so glad you started it! You sure do remember a lot for such an old lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda...What a great thought. Of all people, you have a few things to complain about. You touched my heart with your words. Thank you for reminding us through your example to make the best of each day we live. Thanks

    ReplyDelete