Friday, October 30, 2009

Caleb


This is my second son, Caleb. He was born ten years after Jenna, and before he was a year old we found out that he had the same congenital heart condition that she did. Since it was ten years later some advancements had been made and our doctor obtained permission to try out a drug designed for adults on Caleb. At first it looked promising. But it was not to be. After two tries that resulted in cardiac arrest, it was determined that it was not possible to get a dose small enough that it was both safe and effective. With heavy hearts we decided to take Caleb home and just love him as long as we could. It was the best decision we could have made. Because of this he was not in the hospital nearly as much as Jenna and we got to enjoy him more. He died at home when he was 21 months old. He died while I was giving him a sponge bath and his dying was one of the most peaceful things I ever experienced. One minute he was struggling for every breath and the next I turned him on his side, he took one deep breath, and he was gone.
For those of you reading this, please don't be sad. I include these experiences just because they made me who I am and because I still love ALL my children. Time will never change that! Each child has been a rich blessing in his or her own way, and I wouldn't trade any of them for anyone else. I look forward to being with all of them again one day and am grateful for Heavenly Father's plan and the atonement of Jesus Christ that makes that a possibility.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Darling baby boy. Such a sweet boy, too. I don't know how you went through that twice, Aunt Rhonda. I just don't. I can't imagine the blessings you'll be given for enduring it....with grace, I might add. I always think of you having five kids. But you're right, I guess I just think of who's oldest, youngest, etc., based on Synda, Bethany and Josh. ALL FIVE of your kids are beautiful and REMEMBERED. Love you!

    ReplyDelete