Monday, November 2, 2009

Thoughts on "Pride & Prejudice"

Okay, I admit that I am reading "Pride & Prejudice" for the first time! And, furthermore, I admit that I am only reading it now because of book club. But it is even worse than that...I am definitely NOT liking it! What is wrong with me?
Granted, I am not very far into it...about Chapter Eight...but all the women (so far) are boring and insipid. All the men are either stupid or annoying, or both! I am aware of the plot and the theme...after all, I have seen at least two of the movie versions, but my question is this, "What makes 'classic' literature 'classic' and who gets to decide?"
Another question would have to be, "Were women truly that dumb?" And let's not forget, "Could you really get so sick that you couldn't be moved for days by riding in the rain?" Sheesh! I'm glad I didn't live back then! Wish me luck with finishing it!
I am also reading Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" and liking it much better, though I now have to question Mr. Brown's motives for writing the things he does.

3 comments:

  1. You're an inspiration for reading Pride and Prejudice, I've read it before and I'm not sure I'm up for re-reading it! I enjoyed the Lost Symbol a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate those types of books too. My friend was just mocking me because I have never seen the sound of music.........i cant bring myself to do it. It is so interesting how we each have such distinct tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what makes a classic but I am definitely in the Austen groupie camp. I will be the dissenter here and admit that Pride and Prejudice is one of all time favorite books and I've read it several times. How many friends have I lost now??? For me I loved the idea (especially as a geeky teenager reading it for the first time) that the richest, handsomest, most "eligible" man would fall in love with Elizabeth for her wit and humor and see past her embarrassing family and lack of fortune.

    ReplyDelete