Tuesday, November 10, 2009

More on Pride and Prejudice

Having been sick the last few days [and nights] I have had more opportunity to read. I confess that I am finally getting in to P & P. Although my original opinion of the characters hasn't changed much, I AM finding the story of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy compelling and interesting. However, I am eternally grateful that I was born in the good old USA in the 20th century and not in England in the 19th [which I am supposing the story is set in]. Can you imagine being bound by such rigid social rules! No wonder English people still look on Americans as rude and brash. No wonder we still think they are a bunch of stuffed shirts! Oops! Am I being prideful or prejudiced?

1 comment:

  1. sorry i couldn't talk longer today. i keep saying "next week" when this darn test is out of my way. both of the girls have "grocery lists" and i told them they had to eat food storage till Saturday afternoon. I got a very long and disbelieving silence...maybe because our food storage consists of cleaning supplies, toothpaste and muffin mix. oops, did I just tell the queen of food storage that I have fallen terribly behind on that responsibility? :)

    ReplyDelete